Make the move.

I left home that morning 30 minutes earlier than usual. My plan was to walk some distance before boarding a vehicle to my work place. That was to be part of my morning exercise, but more importantly I would be able to save N50 on transportation. And as usual I had my earpiece on, playing music from my phone.

I got to the busstop only to meet a crowd of commuters waiting for vehicles as well. It didnt look good, it wasn't part of my plans for the morning but there was little I could do, fuel scarcity was beginning to bite hard. So i just joined the crowd.

That was when I saw her. Radiant in the bright morning sun. Looking smart in her properly pressed NYSC khaki trouser and white T-shirt, carrying a file. Light complexioned with even lighter make-up, about 5ft tall and beautifully built. She had walked up from behind and stood next to me, my heart skipped. I couldn't help but look twice (she was that pretty). 

Immediately I opened my mouth to say something, no words came out. What's wrong with me? I thought to myself. What happened to my tongue? My heart begin to palpitate, I still had the earpiece on but wasn't hearing anything anymore, my mind had drifted far away, or rather, just 2 feet away. I wanted...I needed to talk to her but somehow I had lost my voice. How disappointing. To make up for the unfortunate development, I decided to form not-interested. I began to bump my head to the music that I wasn't even listening to. I made up my mind though; Since I'd lost this first opportunity, I'll wait till we enter a vehicle then I'll make my move. I started rehearsing my lines, practising what I'd say. 

Just then a bus came, I let her enter first in the row just behind the driver. I was to follow after her but one uncle had other plans, he entered before me. 'Which kind bad belle be this? Evil barrier'. Anyway, I eventually went in after the man. I kept practising what I'd say. Immediately this man gets off, we'll be side by side, then I'll make my move. As the bus rolled on I raised my eyes and looked in the mirror above the driver, there I caught her gaze just a split second before she looked away. I smile in my mind. 'She must have been staring at me. Taa! I done catch am'. The mental smile was transforming to a physical one, immediately I comported myself.

It wasn't long before the obstacle of a man got off. I draw closer and sat next to her. The time had come, I took off the earpiece, braced myself to make the move. Just as I was going to practicalize what I had been rehearsing, her phone rang. 'Nice, just nice'. Some evil forces must be at work here. 

From her conversation I gathered that she was late for the monthly NYSC clearance and was speaking to someone, a colleague who was there already, and pleading with the person to help pick a number for her. 

Good, now I have something to build the conversation on. So I waited patiently for the call to end but it was taking forever, no need to get frustrated now, I've come this far I'm so close now. Just a little more. I kept encouraging myself until I heard "driver dropping dey". I looked around to see where the voice came from. My heart sank when I realised she was the one. With the phone still at her ear, she was already standing. I could hear her telling the person in the other end of the line that she had just reached.

The bus had stopped. What do I do, do I get down here and follow her? But it was still far from my designated busstop, if I got off here and followed her I'd have to pay another N100 to get to my destination. That was twice the amount I saved by trekking. I was still weighing my options, before I could come to a conclusion, the driver had moved. I was left staring at her through the window as the bus rolled along.

N/B
This is completely a work of fiction. If there appears to be any form resemblance, please it is totally coincidental.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plus One or Minus One

Russian transgender woman to serve jail term in mens prison.